- RT @OwensDamien: Well, it's done. Let's just hope that making a cruel and ignorant narcissistic sociopath the most powerful man alive wasn'… 1 day ago
- Kolkata Book Fair moves to ensure cash flows this year telegraphindia.com/1170120/jsp/ca… 1 day ago
- Press publishing 'consistent stream' of inaccurate stories about Muslims theguardian.com/world/2017/jan… 2 days ago
- Sandwiches ready for another school day - hope I got them the right way round instagram.com/p/BPb-E7EjVlW/ 2 days ago
- Sounds of the Universe #browsing #recordstore @ Soho instagram.com/p/BPbEkMwDf_S/ 3 days ago
Share or bookmark this page
- Art (1)
- Bengali (156)
- Blogging (13)
- Books (25)
- Family (30)
- Film (90)
- Food (6)
- Hindi (66)
- Languages (7)
- Music (24)
- Other (17)
- Q&A (1)
- Radio (2)
- Reading (6)
- Review (36)
- Running (17)
- Television (20)
- Travel (1)
- India train crash: at least 23 killed in Andhra Pradesh derailment January 22, 2017
- Paul Beatty: ‘For me, Trump’s America has always existed’ January 22, 2017
- Geeta and Babita Phogat: ‘Our father taught us never to be scared' January 21, 2017
- Rolls-Royce sent agent to 'retrieve' document from India tax office January 20, 2017
- Text alert scheme will ensure families in India get the message on organ donation January 20, 2017
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
When it comes to Indian films I am usually drawn to the easier-to-watch fare produced by the Mumbai-based industry.
A case in point would be the Bollywood film Race 2, which I am currently watching, and then there’s all those Salman Khan films I’ve seen since we got satellite television and the Star Gold channel. Continue reading
Looking back on my posts from last year I see I had great plans (or, plans, at least) for a programme of increasing the pace of my study of Bengali.
But, as with the best-laid plans of mice and men, my study schedule went awry, though not entirely.
দূর্গা পুজো এসে আমি ধর্ম-এর কথা শিখছি – বিষয় উপযুক্ত |
1. দেবতা, ভগবান,ঈশ্বর (Muslim) – god
2. দেবী – goddess
3. প্রার্থনা, নামাজ (Muslim) – prayer
4. প্রসাদ – offering of food
5. আশীর্বাদ – blessing, benediction
I’m listening to the new Dinosaur Jr album – up there with their best if you like that sort of thing – and wondering how I’ll ever keep up with all the, for want of a better word, ‘content’.
I bought my first Dinosaur Jr album (Green Mind – ok, but not the best one to start with) in a mall in Florida in 1992. Continue reading
I’m a big fan of the language learning website/app Duolingo, which I’m currently using to brush up on my French and pick up a bit of Spanish.
After the disappointment of having no Spring season of Bollywood films on Channel 4 this year and then the slightly underwhelming, documentary-heavy Autumn season last year, I’m excited by this year’s Autumn line-up of Bollywood films.
Those in charge of programming have struck what looks to be a really nice mix of new/old and left-field/populist films that takes in a crime thriller, an award-winning legal drama and more besides.
Assuming I remember to record it – certainly not a given if past years are anything to go by – I’ll finally get to see Delhi 6, whose songs were playing when I first started listening to Raj & Pablo. Continue reading